A lion at Trafalgar Square.
On the 30th July 1858 the Office of Works and Buildings wrote to Sir Edwin Landseer advising that the House of Commons had voted the sum of six thousand pounds for four colossal lions couchant to be executed and placed on the radial pedestals at the base of Nelson’s column and asking whether Landseer would accept the commission to undertake the work involved.
By 28th March 1861 news came from Turin that the casts were completed and were described as “magnificent”. They had been executed by Professor Pierotti and by May 1861 the casts, in two cases, were on the way to London by ship. Landseer had instructed that the casts be sent to Baron Marochetti.
The lions were finally in place early in 1867, Landseer had been paid £ 6,000, Marochetti £ 11,000 and Nelson’s Column was complete albeit 9 years after Landseer was commissioned. The project started out as a cost of £ 3,000 and finished at £ 17,000.
Nothing changes much.